'Awaken the leader in you' is a practical and highly useful book on personality development. Author Mitesh Khatri is a well recognized corporate trainer in India and in this book, he has shared many of the secrets he would share with his workshop participants.
Awaken the leader in You is not written to induce false dreams into you to become super rich super quick. It is instead written to help you learn viewing daily problems from a new perspective and finding practical solutions.
Book explains with simple illustrations and examples how leaders differ from ordinary people.Let me share a few examples from the book:
1. There are few things that are not in our control and few that we can probably change. We should quickly identify these two, accept things we can't change (for example, your boss) and focus on things that can be changed/improved (your co-workers, how you manage your time etc). Wasting time and energy on wrong things is no good and will drain you out, leaving little to spend on what you could have changed.
2. Instead of asking 'why' , think 'how'. Instead of thinking "Why is this happening to me", ask "how can I come out of this". This simple change in approach makes huge difference to outcome.
3. Situation + Response= Results. For same situation that everyone faces, how you respond makes the difference between a leader and an ordinary people. Leaders face the situation and try to turn it into opportunity or manage it well, while ordinary people are comfortable avoiding the situation or succumbing to it.
4. Ordinary employees always think with an employee mind set, find excuses to justify their inaction or failures, while leaders think with entrepreneur mindset, often taking ownership of the situation and getting things done dispute the odds. While it is easy to take cover behind a layer of excuses and justifications, success follows those who deliver results, consistently.
5. Take control of your physiology to take control of your emotions. If you're physically tired and exhausted, your brain can't be at its best.
Book also has stories of several prominent leaders and businessmen who started from almost nothing and now leading their respective empires. Lots of games and exercises conducted in the workshop is also shared.
'Awaken the leader in you' has 11 chapters, focusing on different key topics such as Emotional Intelligence, Values, Managing time, Communication, Building trust, Building great teams and so on. It is a must read for all individuals having bigger ambitions in life, irrespective of their current positions and situation.
It was very interesting to know that Mitesh Khatri conducts walking on the burning coal (he is a known fire walking expert) exercises for his workshop participants, to boost their confidence and eventually achieve extra ordinary results.
Title: Awaken the Leader in You
Author: Mitesh and Indu Khatri
MRP: Rs 250 (Rs 200 on flipkart and Amazon, $2.67/Rs 160 for Kindle edition)
No of Pages: 185
Genre: Personality Development
Author can be reached through his website, www.miteshkhatri.com/
Note: This review is part of BecomeShakespeare.com Book review program. I got a copy from them for review purpose. There're few other books with same title but written by other author. Be careful while buying.