This post aims to be your one stop information guide related to Moserbaer Cheap movie VCDs and DVDs.(the Hello happiness program)
Quick Jump: Pricing | Collection, Availability |Negative Aspects | Comments
You wish to watch a movie on your computer or Home theatre, what do you do?
Option 1: Buy an original VCD/DVD from a branded showroom by paying several hundred rupees (Legal high quality content but expensive)
Option 2: Buy a pirated VCD/DVD for say 50-100 Rupees or less (illegal, quality may not be good, but pretty cheap)
Option 3: Rent a VCD/DVD for Rs.15-30 approx (Usually good quality, Watch and return it (some people make a copy of it though))
Since cost is primary concern for most of middleclass people, many of us will be tempted to go for option 2 or 3 which directly or indirectly promotes piracy, when multiple illegal copies of a movie are made.
Are you aware (if you've seen thier ads on TV), original VCDs and DVDs can be purchased at the cost of pirated one? Moserbaer India (BSE:MOSR, a leading digital media manufacturer) has taken an initiative in this regard wherein they sell Full movie VCDs Rs 28 onwards and DVDs Rs 34 onwards.
What? Tell me more…Cost and Availability Go to TOP
Hindi and regional language film VCDs are priced at Rs 28, English movie VCDs are priced at Rs 49, DVDs priced at Rs 34 onwards (Regional Languages-Rs 34, English: Rs 69). The price is so aggressive that it is at par with option 2 and 3 listed above. For the price of a pirated one you get original one. Even if you thought of taking a VCD on rent and making a copy using your DVD writer, it still makes more sense to buy original one.
Where do I get them?
All leading music stores, departmental stores like Big Bazaar, even some stationary shops sell these cheap VCDs and DVDs. For entire catalog of available titles, to buy online or for exact address of outlets checkout Moserbaer Home entertainment website.
Is it profitable for Moserbear to do this?
Yes. MoserBaer has its own manufacturing unit for digital media (CDRs and DVDRs etc) so the cost of CD/DVD for them is negligible (Blank CDRs retail at around Rs 6 onwards while DVDRs retail at Rs 15 onwards. Manufacturing cost should be around 20% of that amount). The movies they sell are usually old ones which do not have much demand as such, so it makes profitable sense to sell them with very low margin.
Advantages for buyers:
1.Satisfaction of buying a legal copy
2.Good quality video, with casings (Rs 28 VCDs come in pouch while rest come in jewel case/boxes) and colour labels. CD case free if you buy 20+ VCDs online
3. No dent on pocket. Price at par with pirated or rented movies
4. Not only Hindi and English movies, but video items (movies as well as several other videos ) in several regional language (Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam etc) are also available)
5. Current offer: Free shipping and Free CD case for purchase of 20+ Units
Other things one should know:Go to TOP
1. There is a money back guarantee but not sure to what extent it is feasible. Few may be of bad quality or may not play properly if faulty. You need to take that risk.
2. Latest movies may not be available like this. Only those which are few years old are sold this way (if the movie is good and if you’ve not watched it yet it is still worth collecting it.) (Note: Some exceptions may be there: for example, "Apne" and "ek chalis ki last local", Hindi movies few months old but weren’t a success at box office, are already available with MB. Newer movies are priced few rupees higher.
3. All movies will have Moser baer watermark on it.
4. DVD-R is capable of storing more than just 1 movie, but only one movie is available per DVD.(No additional videos as well, say the making of the movie) (They could have clubbed 2-3 movies and sold for few rupees extra (It will be really convenient to have Home Alone 1, 2 and 3 or Spiderman 1 2 and 3 etc in a single disc instead of half a dozen of them)
5. Some movies may be of bad quality or have some scenes missing - Fiza VCD had a delay between audio and video-I hear the dialogs first and see lip moment few seconds later, In a Kannada Movie (Ananda Bhairavi) I faced playback control issues, Aanken VCD had last few mins of video missing.
6. Also this has triggered a direct war between moserbaer and T-Series. Even T series has started selling VCDs from Rs 38 onwards (I think they dont have a manufacturing unit to supply blank CDs, hence few bucks extra...) (I find T-series Hindi movie collection much better than moserbaer's...
7.I also learnt that Moserbaer has dedicated over 16 crore for this mission and is acquiring several small and medium recording companies. I hope this brings more and more cost advantage to cunsumers in long run.
8. I’ve observed that they are using higher capacity discs to ensure that number of discs are confined to 2. (Regular CDRs can hold 700MB data /80min video, but some moderbaer moview discs contain as much as 900MB sized .dat files) I suspect they resort to cutting few scenes if they’re still unable to fit the movie in 2 discs
My experience: I bought 3 such VCDs and 1 DVD recently from Big Bazaar (Ameerpet Hyderabad). VCDs were quite good, but I am not happy with picture quality in the DVD I bought (This might be a selective case and may not be applicable to all DVD movies. The movie was very very old and probably no DVDs were in existence that time. May be the movie was stored in DVD directly from a VHS or CD)
This is an attempt by MoserBaer to focus on volume of sale and gain profit, which is beneficial for both consumers who want genuine content at reasonable price and for companies who do not want to loose their market to piracy industry. I remember Lahari Recordings in Karnataka were selling original audio cassets for Rs 20 once a time. These moves, if become popular among masses, should help eradicate video piracy and save entertainment industry. A pirated DVD (containing 3-4 latest movies) gets sold for around Rs 40 (negotiable) at Burma Bazaar Chennai (and at similar places in other cities), hence there’s still a competition for Moserbaer. I hope people change their mind and shift towards MB.
Go to TOP
Related: Lighscribe Direct Disc labeling |Software Piracy|